New itinerary

New itinerary

Monday, December 25, 2023

Cozumel Mexico

Michael must’ve been out of his mind as he set out this morning for a nine hour excursion. He went to the Mayan ruins in Tulum, which is located about 40 miles outside of Playa Del Carmen. He first had to take a ferry from Cozumel, where the ship landed, to Playa Del Carmen, and then a bus trip to the ruins. However, it was well worth it as they were quite striking, and located along a beautiful section of beach.  They spent a couple of hours climbing over the ruins in the heat and the humidity.  Following the ruins, another bus took the group to lunch in the restaurant district of Playa Del Carmen. It was a truly excellent meal with empanadas, steak tacos, and as Michael proclaimed, the best Flan he ever had.  One more bus ride was required to the shopping district where a souvenir was acquired— a weird magnetic skull bottle opener???  This was followed by another hour long ferry ride back to the island of Cozumel, and the Viking Neptune.  He came back, looking like a drowned rat.






As you all know, I hate the heat and I hate the humidity. I had been to the ruins many years ago, so I didn’t feel any need to go. I needed a day off and that’s exactly what I took. With most of the people off the ship I had the swimming pool all to myself. I had my pool noodle and I just floated around letting my body relax in the nice warm water. When it got too hot and humid, I went in and got probably the worst lunch I’ve ever had. I asked for a grilled cheese sandwich at the grill and since all they have is hamburger buns and hotdog buns, I got a cheese sandwich that was mostly bun. It’s not their fault because that’s not what they make. So I guess I’m a little jealous that Michael had such a wonderful lunch. 

Today is Christmas day, and I wish everybody a wonderful day. However, on the ship, you would never know that it was Christmas or any holiday as the schedule goes on. Yes, there are decorations, but everybody’s going about excursions or what have you. After dinner there was a special Christmas show by the entertainment staff singing Christmas standards.