New itinerary

New itinerary

Friday, February 23, 2024

Cairns, Australia

Today we both went to the aquarium in Cairns. Cairnes is Queensland’s seaside resort town and is the gateway to the great barrier reef, which stretches over 1,400 miles. It is the largest continuous coral reef system on earth.  The last time we were here we went out to the great barrier reef and snorkeled. We had been to the aquarium previously, but I think they made some incredible improvements. It was quite wonderful with very large tanks of incredible fish swimming around and plenty of seating so you could just sit and enjoy watching it. This makes me think that we should get a fish tank so that I can knit and look at it and be very Zen. But then again, we have not had good luck with water, so I think we’ll just put one of those aquariums on the TV. Just watching the fish is so relaxing.  I have tried to identify as many fish as I can, but if anyone has information on what these fish are, please let me know, and I will update.

We had lunch on the ship and then decided to take a dip in the main pool under a very cloudy sky. But that is not a problem because the dome was closed over the pool but it was very hot and humid. The water was very nice.

We went for tea and then met up with Emily and Thi. We wound up having dinner on the aft deck with them and had a very pleasant evening.


Salt water crocodile 

Brown basilisk

Long neck tortoise
 
Cat fish 




Coral

Ctenosaura 


Hope the video works!