New itinerary

New itinerary

Saturday, January 13, 2024

Sea Day 3

There usually isn’t much to write about days at sea but today I thought would describe what it’s like when the seas are rough.  You veteran cruisers will take a walk down memory lane with this description. For those that have never cruised, I hope you will enjoy the description of what it’s like to function when the boat is rocking and rolling.  Remember, when I said the captain is diverting around a storm to give us a better ride? Well, if this ride is better, I hate to think what the alternative would’ve been. 

I get out of bed and the first thing I do is try to stand up without falling over. And then I hold onto whatever I can find in order to get to the bathroom. Nature is calling and you must heed the call. Remember, we have a standard veranda state room, which means there isn’t a whole lot of room to maneuver. We have 270 ft.² so that doesn’t leave us a lot of room to do much of anything since the bed takes up most of the room.  There is a step up into the bathroom and so you have to grab onto the sink to make sure you don’t slam into the shower and then you can plop your butt down on the seat after you lift the lid. And there you sit and do your business holding on to whatever is nearby.

Now it’s time to take a shower. So I stand there debating how much I really need a shower versus how much I really don’t want to take a shower. Well, today needing a shower won. After stripping off bed clothes, you now go into the shower, turn the water on and proceed to hold on with one hand. I have learned the delicate art of washing your hair with one hand. And please do not even think about washing the bottom of your feet. After getting knocked around a bit and a good rinse it is time to get out of the shower and dry off. Here again, you will have to sit down in order to dry the bottom of your feet because standing up – – not gonna work. 

Now it’s time to get dressed, and you absolutely must sit down on the bed while you do that. Putting on make up, combing hair, drying hair, you can blessedly sit down and do all that.  Now I gather all my gear for teaching and my bag is very heavy so I find it easiest to sling it over my shoulder and take most of the weight on my back. I leave my cabin and pull the door closed so that it shuts because depending on which way the boat is leaning your door will never close. 

Real fun begins as I walk down the hallway, staggering under the weight of my bag to the swells rocking the boat. I look like a complete drunk. Yes, there are handrails all along the corridor and it’s a good idea to use them.  The rest of the day sees you weaving and bobbing trying to avoid other people and things, and just being able to stay on your feet. 


This is a picture of some of my crafters. Nothing stops intrepid cruisers from their appointed rounds.